Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Halloween

I suppose I should post about Halloween.  I will try not to take too much time to do it, but my last post ended up being much longer than I had planned, so...

Halloween made it feel really official that I've been here for over a year.  That's a long time for what we did before that.  We'd move and start talking about moving again a few months later.  Last year I went trick-or-treating with the YW and YM in our ward.  It was so fun.  Who says teenagers are too old to trick-or-treat if we're willing to dress up?  So, we went again this year, but the YM didn't join us until we went to the biggest street for Halloween.  All the houses are decorated amazingly.  Some houses had over a hundred pumpkins in their yard.  They block it off from traffic and it is just packed with trick-or-treaters.  We didn't actually trick-or-treat on that street.  We didn't even look at the houses much.  We just walked down, lost a couple people, then went home because we were so tired and it was so crowded.  I dressed up as Laura from Little House, when she is older.  I had the outfit from trek and I thought that I'd want to be Laura sometime since I love her so much so I was Laura.  We put my hair up and I wore some really pretty, but natural looking make-up.  I actually really looked like her, though no one recognized me, of course.  I told the YW who I was and they started calling me 'Little House'.  It drove me crazy.  I was like, hey, there are so many names you could call me that would be correct, like Half-pint, Beth, Laura, Miss Wilder, even Brown Eyes (which is only used in one episode.  Anyone remember which one?).  But they just kept calling me 'Little House'. :) I came home with a boat load of candy.  Like, a 4th of a pillowcase full.  Two full snickers bars.  Yum.  Anna and Gracie didn't have very much, for some reason, so I shared mine, and Mom made us throw it away the next day...or the day after.  Don't remember.  Really sad.  She said she just can't have the temptation, which, being me, I don't understand.  I have amazing self control (I'm not being sarcastic, only exaggerating ;).

The Saturday before Halloween we had a trunk-or-treat and a dance right after.  So we just left from the trunk-or-treat together.  Sadly, we got there about an hour late and I'm not going into details why because I'm still not even sure why.  It was a dress up dance and instead of wearing my trek clothes, Mom thought I should wear one of her old prom dresses.  So, I wore the one with a black top and white bottom.  I loved it, but I was so excited to dress up in my collar and mid-calf length skirt Laura costume for Halloween.  Much more comfortable.  The dance had the normal songs and dances, but it also had some square dances, like on trek.  It was fun, but not as fun as trek.  I mean, what did I expect?  You really can't beat that trek dance.  It was amazing.  And it just didn't feel right doing those dances in a gym. 

Overall, Halloween was fun.  And I'm so glad that I got to spend it with everyone from church.  I love them. :)  So grateful for them.  So, now it's basically the Holiday season.  I'm not feeling it.  It never really felt like Christmas last year.  Seriously, it's a hard transition going from Idaho Christmas's to California Christmas's.  Especially since we'll be in Utah every other year, which makes it hard to get used to something new when you only do it every other year.  Oh well.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you have a good group of church friends to hang out with! That is so nice. Did you guys take any pictures of halloween? I would love to see your costumes! That street sounds like lots of fun! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started your blog a few days ago and then got distracted. Halloween sounded like so much fun except for the obnoxious name they gave you! I think it's neat that you like Laura so much. I am so happy that you love your church friends. That is so important to have good friends. I am so proud of you for going to the Stake Dances!!!! I loved them when I was your age. To bad you had to throw away your candy! I understand your mom, but feel bad for you! but reality is it wouldn't be good for you to eat all of that.I wish you guys could come here sometime for thanksgiving or Christmas to see my Santas, but that will probably never happen. I Love you sooooo much!! and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some day, you will be married, and you will get to spend Christmas in the same state every year :) It is pretty weird how it's not cold here! I actually got excited when it was cold one night, because I could put on sweats and socks and a blanket!!!!! (While watching a movie)I don't think I've ever used a blanket in CA unless I'm sleeping. Your halloween sounded amazing. I LOVED dances at your age. Dances are so fun. And it is so fun to dress up for them. That would be so annoying to be called little house, instead of laura. That halloween neighborhood sounds awesome, sounds liek I need to move on that street! I was so sad that I didn't get to decorate this yr (since we had just moved in) I'm not even decorated for thanksgiving! (promise next yr it will be more festive) WELL- I love you!!!! can't wait for you to come over!

    ReplyDelete