Saturday, October 5, 2013

Random Happiness

Here's some random things that are making me smile lately.

This post about happiness in itself makes me happy because it's the sixth post in two months and that's a major major improvement for me!  This new goal is working!

Conference is this weekend.  I really really love conference.  I haven't always loved it.  Until recently I don't think I really understood why it was necessary to listen to 8-10 hours of talks over the course of the weekend twice a year.  One thing that I think opened my eyes was the attitude that one of the YM in my old ward had toward it.  In seminary and Sunday School you always have the 'primary answers,' reading the scriptures, going to church, take the sacrament and stuff like that.  His answer was always General Conference.  "How can we know the Lord's will?"  "Watch General Conference."  "What can bring us closer to the Savior?" "Watch General Conference."  "What should we do when we're sad?"  "Read a General Conference talk."  Once my teacher asked him about it and he said, "I'm being serious.  General Conference is the answer to everything."  And I think he followed that profound statement with something like, "It's the bomb, man!"  Eyeroll.  So anyway, I'm really excited about General Conference, especially since we missed part of it cause of Gracie's baptism in April.

I'm really progressing with my crocheted quilt.  I've sewn enough squares together to complete three rows and have sewn two of them together.  Getting closer. : )

Fall is here!  It's October, the beginning of the holidays.  It's Halloween season, after which comes celebrating fall and Thanksgiving, the CHRISTMAS!  I'm so excited and even though it's not really fall weather yet here, it's getting closer.  We're more into the 80s and 90s instead of late 90s and 100.

To celebrate fall I made my first pie the other day!  And we were going to take a picture, but by the time we remembered there was one lone piece left that really didn't look very pretty.  I'll make another one and take a picture soon.  This one was peanut butter with a layer of fudge sauce on top.  It was delicious.  I made Grandma's pie crust because she showed me how to make it while she was here and it turned out really well!  The sides didn't fall in and it was nice and flaky.

I learned something in seminary that I wanted to share.  It's in 2 Nephi chapter 4.  This is the end of Lehi's farewell speeches (Patriarchal or Father's blessing, however you'd like to think of them) and then he dies.  And what do Laman and Lemuel do after he dies?  They start complaining against Nephi (cause that's their specialty).  So here's Nephi, grieving his father's death, because whatever his brother's think, he did not want that to happen and he's not happy about it either.  And what does he do?  In verse 15 it says he reads the scriptures which his soul delights in.  Then he thinks about the things of the Lord which his soul delights in.  In the mist of discouragement and sadness he ponders the things which his soul delights in and counts his blessings.  From verse 19 on he focuses on the things that the Lord has done for him that fills him with delight.  This is known as Nephi's Psalm, a song or poem of worship or praise.  Then in chapter 5 verse 1 it says he 'cried unto the Lord'.  So if you could ask Nephi what to do when you feel like nothing's going right, when you're sick or your heart is broken.  He would say, "I already wrote it down for you because God told me you would need it.  You should read the scriptures, count your blessings and pray to the Lord who knows how you feel."

Steve's getting so close to opening the hot dog stand!

Jason's three week mark didn't present him ugly.  He grows cuter by the day and he's starting to give us smiles more frequently.  It's amazing how truly angelic they are, especially with their toothless grins.

I am enjoying the leftover lasagna that I'm eating for dinner. : )

If you haven't noticed, I've renoticed all the cool things you can do to your posts that are at the top of the page!  So I'm enjoying using those, too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Aliese where do I start? First you are one of the more amazing people I know!! I learn from you every time I read your blog. It brings me to tears often. I love your statement at the top of your blog. I love that you love conference now. It is one of the things I look forward to all year. As it approaches I get so excited and hungry for it!! It truly is the answer to all of life's problems. I had never thought about Nephi greiving. I can't believe I a never thought about that! It puts a whole new spin on it for me! I am so happy your pie turned out!! I am so grateful Jason is so good I'm glad that you guys get to have a celestial being in your home! How blessed you are. I love you so much and wish we could be together more often. I feel cheated. I will treasure our rides to seminary and the other moments we had for just the two of us. I am truly a blessed grandma to have you for a grand daughter. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aliese, i want you to take this seriously, and I don't want you to think I'm trying to flatter or compliment you, I'm being honest- I really look up to you. You are so spiritual and strong, and I don't feel like it's a "youth spiritual high phase" I feel like it's FOR REAL, and that it's going to stick. I feel like you have such a strong testimony, and I just am so inspired by your blogs and your testimony. You better marry a freakin awesome guy some day or I'll be MAD!!!!! Cause whoever it is, is going to have to be amazing to deserve you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH- and I just loved conference, it was SO GOOD, I still need to watch the other 2, but the 2 and the R.S. conference were so amazing. love you.

    ReplyDelete