Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Improving Aliese

For those who know me know that I am a pretty picky eater. Well, I'm not sure that I am anymore. I mean I still don't like grapefruit, but neither does my Dad and he is not considered a picky eater. There are other things I still don't like, but I am not going to bother to write them all down. Anyway, so, last night I had Young Men Young Women mutual together and it was really fun. The young men made dinner and dessert for the young women! So, in turn I had to try things I would not otherwise try. I tried guacamole and deviled eggs. I kinda liked the deviled eggs, but I really liked the guacamole. It was kinda spicy and I didn't really like that, but it was so creamy and yummy! It is amazing that I like it. Then today I tried some humus with some carrots and I liked that, to! I remember at Lizzie's for Kate's birthday we had sandwiches with mustard and apples and meat on it and a while ago I would have been totally grossed out by that! But it was really good! Mom says I am officially becoming a grown up.

I think I am getting better at 'housekeeping.' I do the dishes really well (that doesn't mean fast), most other chores including laundry and I am getting better at cooking. I went to those cooking classes and Mom and I decided that maybe once a week I get to make dinner. I did that a bit back. I made a pasta with a yummy red sauce, garlic bread and salad. For the sauce I basically just sauteed tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper and some herb in a bit of oil then pureed it in the blender. It was so yummy! Mom said she could almost drink it. Believe it or not I got it out of a Strawberry Shortcake cook book that I have had for a long time. It is Strawberry Shortcake, but it has some really good recipes. Especially dessert. I love that cook book. I remember in the yellow house I would have 'restaurant' days when I would pick two meals to make for the family. I would invite my Grandma and Grandpa Leslie and serve them, too. I think I made several choices per meal like a real restaurant, took orders, made and served the food. Once I did it with my cousin Sayer and we made brownies. We were licking the little bits of dough left out of the bowl until the brownies came out of the oven! I think I put the food on styrafoam plates and then put them in the warmer. Now I know why the edges seemed to droop a bit more than they did when I put them in. Haha! It is funny that I would never do that now. I love to cook and serving does sound fun, but a bit of a hastle. Especially because I also had to clean up the mess afterward.

I love piano. I am getting much better at it, too. I don't argue with Mom during lessons (most of the time :) and I feel better about myself when I'm playing.

Well, I gotta go. Steve just went to Stater Bros., came back and realized we don't have milk so I am going to go get it. We can't have dinner without milk. Haha! :)

7 comments:

  1. You Leslie girls and your milk, Ha! It is such an Idaho thing. Everything sounds good! I'm glad you're trying new things! I used to be a really picky eater until I married Greg. Then he would always make these things and I wouldn't like them, but would have to eat them. And bit by bit I started to like new things- like rice and stir fry. And now the things I used to hate are my favorite! It adds to my life! It's good you're doing this now and not when your 23! Same with cooking! I didn't realize how little I could cook until my mid twenties. Now I LOVE to cook. It's great you're doing these things now! You're one step ahead! Oh yeah, you'll get faster at housekeeping. I used to be really slow too. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great! All that cooking! Yum! I'm so happy to hear you're loving the piano. I would love to hear you play something sometime. You should try to take a video or something :)

    Miss you and love you! I love when you post, so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy for you, that you are cooking and trying to eat more new things. I think it is wonderful that you are playing the piano and that you are trying not to argue with your mom about it. It is hard for me not to argue with people sometimes, when I feel I am right. Guacamole is easy to make and it doesn't need to be spicy, I make it a lot and it is great without any spice. I love you and miss getting to see you hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. i miss you guys already. tanner has been really sick....your mom said its the same thing your sisters had. a really high fever for 4 days. i think he's almost better now. i'm excited for things to calm down and once we move get together with you guys more often. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog!! I am soooo happy you are liking different foods. I can remember when I started trying new things. I was so surprised at how many I liked that I actually looked forward to new things. That sounds like a great Mutual night! How fun. I think that is great that you are getting better at all the chores. I agree, you are growing up!! I'm glad you are enjoying the piano, that will be one thing you will never regret doing. I miss you all already!! I had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's time for you to post again. Please. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you leslies and your milk- haha. I'm so glad you are startingt o like mroe foods. i went through the exact same thing, and it was liberating when i started to like more foods. I remember it was such a huge trial in my life. I'm so happy for you- LOVE YOU-

    ReplyDelete