Monday, May 28, 2012

Three Things

Three things: my musical life, my healthy treat life and a funny experience with Mom yesterday.

My musical life.  Anna and Gracie hate all of the songs that I play on the piano because I play them so much.  Of course, Anna is not one to talk.  She has this one song that she has played so many times.  I asked Mom the other day how long she has known it and she said, "I think a year."  So imagine how often she has to play it in order to keep it memorized for a year.  They also hate it when I sing.  I can get really carried away when I start singing.  I can't even sing when I do the dishes because I can't concentrate enough to get them done.  So, whenever I sit down at the piano or start singing both Anna and Gracie exclaim, "No!  Aliese, seriously, you've been singing all day!  I haven't even gotten on the piano.  Just stop!"  I never do, though. :)

My healthy treat life.  Mom, Lizzie, Danielle and a little bit of Amy are really into this healthy treat thing.  Mom and Lizzie will talk and exchange new recipes.  Mom does not make treats with sugar anymore.  She replaces it with coconut sugar, maple sugar, date sugar or honey.  She is always making new changes.  She also loves different grains.  She has been experimenting with spelt and she even made rice pancakes this morning (they had kind of a gooey texture).  And when a recipe is really great, like a brownie recipe with half spelt, half whole wheat and all coconut sugar, she has to change it again and add a bit of honey because it is cheaper than coconut sugar.  I have gotten into it, too, actually.  In fact, Mom had this idea to open a booth at a farmers' market where we would sell healthy treats.  We got really excited about it.  We talked about how we would have information about the grains and the replacements for sugar.  We really thought we would do it until we went to a farmers' market and talked to the people in charge about getting a booth.  You have to have a commercial kitchen and several different licenses.  Plus we would have to wait to get in.  They said it might take years.  So, oh well.

Okay, so now I've talked about how much Mom is into healthy treats, she was making some Texas sheet cake for a friend that she was going to go visit teach.  This friend is not into healthy treats so Mom made it not healthy for her.  So, she put in two whole cups of white sugar and two whole cups of white flour in.  It was so hilarious watching her measure it out.  It looked like she was cleaning up vomit or something, there was such an awful grimace on her face as she put the sugar and white flour in.  She just kept saying, "I feel like I'm poisoning them.  I'm supposed to be helping them."  It was really funny.

So there's the three things.  We have a busy week.  Lindsey is coming this week (Steve's daughter) and we will be going to the beach twice and Disneyland once so I'm sure there will be lots to post about!

5 comments:

  1. That youtube piano thing- I have no idea what you're talking about. More and more I never know what anyone is talking about! I should look into the healthy sweets thing. We are doing it with our FOOD, but I haven't gone there yet with the sweets. It sounds too complicated and expensive. But I should do it. I am starting to feel like my sugar is poison. It is in EVERYTHING!!!! That's great you sing so much! And you sing while playing the piano? That is impressive. I couldn't do that until my twenties. It was really hard for me before and took a lot of practice to get where I am now. What is this scripture book? What is the title? I may be interested in it. I always just read the scriptures straight through. It really works for me. Other people act like that's NOT how you should read it, but I really benefit from it that way, and try it other ways and it never does much for me. But like you said- maybe I'm not doing it right. I'm interested. As far as reading goes, I didn't get anything from my scriptures 'till I was 14, I think. Then it was little by little, I got more and more from them. It wasn't until I had read them A LOT that I got a lot from them. Now I can't read a page without getting some inspiration. But it wasn't always that way. So keep at it!!! Great to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The treat thing is funny, and your mom is funny with the sugar thing. It still is sugar and raises your blood sugar if you are a diabetic, be it honey, cocoanut, maple, or etc! I am sure it is more healthy, and I know that the grains are much better for you than white flour. I use a lot of brown rice flour and I always add the xanthan gum to it a tsp for each cup, and then it won't be so gummy. Sounds like you will have a fun week next week. I love you and am looking forward to seeing you in July. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha- that's how I feel if I have ever used sugar or seen someone use sugar. I'm like- HOLY SMOKES that is a lot of icky stuff. That's great you're loving music. I remember growing up getting SO SICK of some of Amy and Megan's piano songs cause they would play certain ones SO often. It just happens in a household of music! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is hilarious about your mom putting the sugar into the texas sheet cake and saying it was poison- haha. I put a poison sticker on my mom's sugar container to be funny, she still has it on there :) haha. the piano playing- I always played and sang "i know that my redeemer lives" and it drove megan CRAZY! hahah. I did play and sing it alot. haha. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was soooo much fun to read! I loved it all. I wonder if you have a little bit of me in you when you sing!? I always sang at the top of my lungs (still do when I am alone) when the kids were home. I especially sang opera. The treat story was great! I love how happy you sound!!Can't wait to see you in a few days!!! love you!!!

    ReplyDelete