Saturday, October 20, 2012

A Few Things

Well, I'm not sure what I'm going to blog about.  I had a bunch of random things going through my mind a while back, but of course now I can't remember them.

I went to a mutual activity that was all about Personal Progress and I'm going to start a project as soon as I can.  I'm going to crochet a square quilt with the value colors for my bed.  Right now I'm focusing on making two pairs of baby booties for a baby shower for some twins.  I'm really frustrated with booties.  I can't seem to get a pattern that works.  I had to alter a pair I made recently to make them smaller.  I thought it was because the hook I used was too big, but the hook I'm using now is the right size and it still seems a little big.  I just need a book full of good patterns for babies.  I have already made so many things for baby showers that I could really use one.

I had an idea for story and wondered if I could ask you all for some help.  I can't say much about the story because I don't really have much of a plan, but I need some cooking stories.  Some great and funny stories about messing up or burning the food of yourself or serving food that was messed up and you didn't realize it.  And details about the circumstances and who you were serving the food to would be great, too.  If you could email me I would be so so happy about it!  I need to start writing more and so I'm jumping at this idea I got when I was sweeping the floor the other day. :)

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool that you are making baby clothes. I agree you need to get a good book if you are doing that many things for babies. It seems like your grandma Leslie could recommend one. I have a great cooking story. When grandpa and I had been married about 2 years I was reading some books on nutrition and health. Back then there wasn't the many yummy alternatives that we have today. I wanted us to be as healthy as possible so I started cooking with whole wheat flour and honey. Well,your grandpa's b-day was coming and I thought I would make him a really healthy b-day cake. I put 100% whole wheat flour (hard red which is basically all we had in those days and a very strong wheat flavor). It had all honey, and instead of chocolate (it was getting a bad rap in those days) I put in an ingredient called carob. It actually didn't have a super bad taste but it was nothing like chocolate. Then to top it off, instead of powdered sugar for the frosting, I used, you guessed it honey with butter and vanilla. Needless to say it was horrible. To top it off, I had a stake meeting two hours away, so when he got home from work I said "I got to go, love you and happy b-day. I got home late that night and tasted the cake, I think your grandpa was asleep. The cake was horrific!!! I can't even begin to tell you how inedible and awful it tasted. I was so sad and learned a powerful lesson. Birthdays are not a time to push healthy eating on someone!!I apologized over and over again, and for years if anything didn't taste like it usually did your grandpa would ask me if I tried to sneak something in. If I didn't which I usually hadn't he would say are you sure? I had to convince him that I hadn't. He would then say, why does it taste different, and I would say, I don't know Steve, I did everything the same way I always do. Even to this day on a rare occasion he will ask me that. A very sad and hard lesson to learn. Although I will say I and your Grandpa have had many a laugh retelling that story. Learn from you grandma, don't sneak food with your husband!!! Maybe your kids, but not your husband!!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there was this one time when I was making crepes for Clay and I and we always put fruit and powdered sugar on the inside, and powdered sugar on top! Healthy, I know. So anyway- I always got my baking supplies at winco, and then refilled the containers. So my previous shopping trip I had gotten baking soda and I must've accidentally put it in the powdered sugar container, because when I put my bite of crepe in my mouth it was SIZZLING and BUBBLING! It was SO disgusting and I had to spit it out right away! Clay was laughing so much. Needless to say, those two crepes were thrown away!

    Another cooking story of my friends is the same thing except the cinnamon got put in the cocoa bin. And when making chocolate cookies, her husband put in like a half cup of cinnamon! Definitely had a different taste :)

    Another story is when I was making bread I was talking to Jake on the phone so I wasn't paying attention to how much flour I was putting in. I think I ended up putting double or something because the bread was hard as rock and horrible!

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some stories, but I don't know if you need them anymore. Let me know. love you-

    ReplyDelete