Monday, October 8, 2012

Seminary and Flipped

Okay, it has been so long!  Seriously, I don't know how it happened and there is so much to catch up on.  But my last few posts don't have many comments even though my blog says it has views.  I did send out an email.  We'll see, guess.

First, seminary!  I really have been excited about seminary, but then the time went from 6 to 5:45.  5:45!  I could not believe it, that is just so early!  We have some kids in our seminary class that have a 0 period at 6:45.  They are amazing, I don't know how they do it.  When they lean their heads on their desks I do not blame them.  I really don't.  Anyway, it started at 5:45 and then Mom set up for us to bring someone to seminary every morning so that means I have to get up and out of the house even earlier!  Buuuut, despite all that, I love it.  I absolutely love it.  We have a great teacher who really loves seminary.  He's been teaching it for three years so I hope he doesn't get released soon, but because of that he knows all and loves all the kids really well and loves being with us every morning.  He helps us with scripture mastery first thing every morning and is always changing the method so it's not just the same old thing.  I am so surprised at how many I have already passed off!  I'm great with memorizing songs, with all the repition, the music and singing along, but memorizing scriptures has always been hard for me.  Of course, there are still kids in the class ahead of me.  I guess some just like to memorize them on their own to get it done faster.  I really want to actually remember them, though so I'm not doing that.  We only have about 15 kids and that's two whole wards combined.  And there's only 4 or 5 young men.  It's really sad.  But we don't mind.  Once, we were talking about missionary work and our teacher asked, "So, would you like more YW and YM in your classes on Sunday?"  We all said, yes.  "And more kids in seminary?"  Silence.  No one said yes, some even said no.  We just like it the way it is.  So, overall, I love seminary.  Hopefully, my excitement doesn't wear off.  My dad says he loved seminary all 4 years.

Anna's already blogged about Flipped.  I don't know all she said, though.  It's pretty bad.  We were so obsessed.  It's starting to wear off.  It started when I borrowed the book from a friend of mine in the ward.  I read it in 2 or 3 days and would not rest until we got the movie.  It had the movie website on the back of the book and I got on it and watched the trailer at least 5 times over the course of a few days before we got the movie.  When we did we watched it while Mom was gone.  After it was over, I think Anna, said she wanted to watch it again.  Gracie agreed.  So, we watched it again. And again.  And again.  And again.  Only twice in a row, but we watched it about once a day for a week.  We still have it actually.  Mom and Steve were gone basically all day Saturday at a Dave Ramsey thing and we watched a lot of Avonlea.  When Anna left for an activity days swim party Gracie and I thought that the best thing to watch would be Flipped because she had definetly already seen it.  She walked in about one minute before it ended and demanded we watch it again, so we did.  I went up to my loft and did  something else, but it played again, at least.  Then, a few days ago Gracie asked me to read it aloud to them.  So, now I read it aloud everyday and everyone loves it.  It motivates Anna and Gracie to do chores better than anything else.  Mom loves it too.  She laughs her head off during the boy's chapters and almost cries during the girl's.  They alternate perspectives.

Well, I don't know what else I should blog about, but I need to go, anyway.  Please comment!  I'll email you!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you love Seminary! It'd be so much harder to go each morning if you didnt. 5:45- YIKES! That's insanity!!! You will definitely get blessings for going though! I LOVED the movie Flipped. I haven't read the book. I should. But the movie was so cute! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book sounds funny. I've only seen the movie. It was way cute. I'm so glad you love seminary! I barely remember seminary. If you keep paying attention you will know the scriptures so well by the end of your 4 years. That's so wonderful! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My beautiful granddaughter, after reading your comment on Danielle's blog, what I think is this: you are wise and mature beyond your years.
    I love you.
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so funny! I told Anna that I want to read it now and then watch the movie. It cracked me up how many times you guys watched it!! I love that you love seminary. I think once you get hooked it never goes away. I had some horrible teachers, but I had such a strong testimony of seminary so I went all the time even with really bad teachers. I even went when I wasn't sure if I was going to school because I didn't feel well. love and miss you!!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  5. my goodness, all this talk of flipped I better watch or read it! which would you suggest to do first? Seminary: I'm so glad you love it. I had an unfortunate seminary experience because of the kids in my class. Most of them were breaking the commandments, so it really took away from the spirit in the classroom, and some of them (including a cousin) made fun of me. So- it was actually a really hard time for me! But- I'm so happy for people when they love it, and am a little envious when I hear about it. Sometimes I wonder if I'll be a seminary teacher so I can sort of do it again and have a positive experience. love you.

    ReplyDelete