Friday, December 16, 2011

I am grateful that I am a Mormon

Okay, I've been waiting to post about this until I can post some pictures with other things, but I don't know if that's ever going to happen. So... the name of my blog is Little Miss LDS, but I have never talked about that much. Well, I invited a friend of mine from WISH to a ward breakfast a bit back so she invited me to a Christmas Tea that her church was having. She goes to the Eagle Rock Baptist church. I didn't hesitate to except and I don't regret going. In fact, it might have been good for me. Anyway, so, I went to this tea. The tables were all decorated goergously, the food was yummy. I even tried some caffine free tea. I've decided I'm not a big fan. Well, after we had eaten a while two women got up and sang 'Mary, did you know?' I love that song, but there was no music to accompany them. I thought that was really sad. Then another woman got up to 'say a few words.' Let me just let that sink in for a minute. I, a 13 year old Mormon who has never gone to any church but the LDS one, sat through a Baptist talk. So, she started with a prayer. It took a minute for me to realize she was praying because she said it so casually. In our church our prayers are reverent and grateful and inspiring for the most part. Her prayer was "I know who you are and you know who I am. When I talk make it so that it is not my words, but yours." Then she closed in the name of Jesus Christ. Then she turned to a perjecter behind her that had an artiicle selling houses. It said that Christmas is a wonderful time of year to buy a big house to entertain 2nd cousins. She just pounced on that. She said that of all the relatives that come over 2nd cousins aren't them. Then she said that she wouldn't want to pack up, move, unpack and then get decorated for Christmas. I don't know what that was about. She never talked about anything like that the rest of the talk. So, then she talked about the theme of the Tea. She said, "Last year it was 'The Recipe for Christmas.' This year it is 'Our family Christmas.' What is that about? Last year it made you think of pies and cookies cooking. And a warm kitchen. This year it's like... 'Our family Christmas.' What is that about?" So, she talked about how she didn't like the theme. After that I don't remember when she said what, but she talked about how we all have this perfect Christmas in our minds and how we're never going to have it. She told stories of awful Christmases her friends have had. She read a scripture in the Bible about how Jesus will take over the world or something like that and she said, "It didn't look like he was taking over the world to me. He was in a manger in this stinky barn with these stinky animals. God didn't even get him a nice place to sleep!" Then she talked about how God will adopt us as his children if we are righteous. She said it so beautifully. She said, "He wants me to be his girl. He wants me, this sinful human, to be his girl. He wants you to be his girl." But she ruined it when she said that he only wants that if we are righteous. She ended her talk by saying there is going to be a great party up in heaven and that she will be there and that she hopes that we all would be there with her. Then she prayed and ended. So, the way I would explain this talk is-you know how when someone tries to make a point and so they point out the negative and then they say "buuuuut"? Well, this entire talk was the negative part of that. The whole thing was getting to the but, but she never got there. It was awful. I was telling Mom all of this when I got home and she just laughed. I was still super shaken by it then and had no idea how she laugh. It was just so awful. I felt like Pollyanna. She was yelling with her arms spread wide and I half expected to look up to see a chandelier shaking. Part of the time I wanted to stand up and yell that all of that wasn't true. I wanted to tell everyone that Heavenly Father loves us no matter what and that there is always a way to return to him. That there is always hope, but most of the time I just wanted to get up and leave. It was just the craziest experience for me.

This was all awful and everything, but it reminded me of how lucky I am that I have the truth. That the whole time that woman was yelling at us, I knew that it wasn't true. I knew that Heavenly Father and Jesus loved me and wanted me to be his girl whether I was righteous or not. I knew that if you did wrong He will help me get back on the right track. And I am so grateful that I knew and know that.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah...a lot of other churches use fear in their teachings I think to try and get them to choose the right. We are very lucky to know that Heavenly Father loves us always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a very good experience. You saw what the world would be like without the gospel! I am grateful you went there. I wouldn't feel obligated to go to things like that in the future. Did your friend say what she thought? I am grateful you know the truth and are a good girl! I love you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you have such a strong testimony of the Gospel, and that you know the truth. Almost all Protestant religions are like that. I went to one with my grandma a Pentecost for awhile and the preacher was so busy telling us about hell he didn't talk about Heaven very much and you needed to be perfect to get there. When I was introduced to the LDS faith I was really ready for it, and it didn't take me long to decide to go in that direction. I knew it was true, young as I was and I was nine when I first went to church. We didn't have a church building in Austin at the time, they met over the union hall. I love you so much, and I will be thinking of you at Christmas, Hugs and Kisses and just keep on believing in all things of the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be frustrating listening to people say things you disagree with. There is a lot of reassurance in the church. I'm glad you have it too. It's good you're reaching out to friends who aren't in your church! That's great! A lot of people are too afraid. Love you!

    ReplyDelete