Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Youth Conference

The 9th, 10th, and 11th I went to Youth Conference. It started Thursday evening when we went to do baptisms for the dead at the temple. Sadly I didn't really feel the spirit. Everyone was noisy and I was nervous. I did learn about what I need to do next time though. So, it was a good experience. After we went back to the church and got Youth Conference T-shirts. On the back it says "5th Ward Youth Conference 2010" and on the front there are a lot of different colored blocks that say "Be strong" on them in different languages. There is one that has it in English, too.
The next day we met at the church at 8:00 a.m. for a pancake breakfast. We all wore the T-shirts. We each (Beehives, Mia Maids, Lorels, Deacons, teachers) gave a presentatian. The beehives did one on friendship. We learned about media, dating, families, and more. We had lunch then cooked, and served a meal to the men at the Men's Homeless shelter in IF (Idaho Falls). It was fun. Then we went to the Visitors Center at the temple and saw a Joseph Smith movie. We had a testimony meeting and we all bore our testimonies, including me.
The next day we met at the church at 9:00 a.m. for a french toast breakfast. Then we had a "Fear Factor". It was gross. There was one where two blind folded people stood single file at a table. There was bread, jam, and peanut butter on the table. The person behind put their hands under the front person's arms and made a sandwich and fed it to the front person. It sounds okay but they crammed those sandwhiches in so fast.
There was one where they had to taste 14 jelly beans and guess what they are. There was vomit, bugars, marshmallow, dog food, skunk spray, baby wipes, pencil shavings, toothpaste, buttered popcorn, moldy cheese, centipede, and more that I can't remember. I am not kidding. They were gross.
Another when they had to bob for two plastic snakes out of a bucket of ice water.
Another where they rolled a dice to see what to put in their drink. There was clam juice, buttermilk and I think something like salsa.
There were others when they had to eat marshmallows and mustard, and a mint and sardines and more.
After that we went bowling. It was so fun. It was my first time.
I hope this is satisfying for everyone. I love you all.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun post! I would love an activity like that! I didn't feel the spirit at the temple that much when I was younger, either. But that's ok. The important thing is that you went and that you went for the right reasons! Everything else will come when it does. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man- I can't believe you are old enough to go to youth conferences! I loved things like that! Sounds crazy! Those fear factor things. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aliese! i'm so excited for you that you are in mutual now and Youngwomens, and now youth conference!!!!!! That is so cool! It's ok that you didn't feel the spirit in the tmple- when you do something for the first time, usually it's hard to feel the spirit, becaue you're nervous and trying to learn everything- like- when I got married- I don't really remember anything the guy said- cause I was nervous and going to my first sealing- you know? It will get better each time you go. The fear factor!!!!!! yowsa!!!! that is so gross! I kept saying "oh gross!" over and over again, and Mike is looking at me like, "what?!" haha- I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Aliese, you are such a special girl, and I can't believe you are old enough for youth conference. I think it is wonderful that you got to go to the Temple. I think it is okay not to feel the spirit of it the first time, it is all so new and hard and you are trying so hard to remember everything so it is easy to be in that mode of trying. It will come and it is wonderful that you got a tee shirt to remember all of it. I think the fear factor thing was GROSS!!!! hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! that sounds so cool!! I spent most of my adult life working with the youth, I loved it!! That was such a wonderful youth conference I am so proud of you for bearing your testimony. I would love to hear your testimony someday. I have always loved going to the temple. I think when you do baptisms, it is one of those things that if the person you are doing the baptism for is excited and ready, you really feel it,but if they aren't it is just a nice thing to be there. I think like you said next time it will be better because you will know what to expect. I hate gross things, I don't find it funny, yuck! I am so glad you are in young womens, you will learn so much there if you want to. I hope you always get good teachers. I would love to be your teacher!! I love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete