Thursday, December 23, 2010

Survival of the Fittest

When I went to my Grandma Leslie's house my number one thing I wanted to do was replant some aloe vera plants that she had in one pot. We bought some pots and soil and the next day we got to it. Being too cold to do it outside we did it on the laundry room floor. We took the small plastic pot (the kind that you buy plants in) and tipped it upside down. All the many aloe vera plants tipped out onto the floor. We brought all of the pots inside and we had five big pots and five small pots. There were eight small plants and four big ones. We picked them each up one by one and cleaned it up. We tore off the dead leaves, shook out the dirt and set them aside neatly. We threw one baby one away that had grown in but having no room got so swashed it would not have survived anyway. We picked out each plant for each pot and in the end threw away the two wimpiest ones with the other one and put one of the biggest pots back in the garage because it just worked out better that way. Then starting with the little ones we put them in the pots. We were just a little short on dirt but we got enough in each pot to last them until Grandma buys more dirt. Then I brushed the dirt off the leaves and watered them. In the end there were nine aloe vera plants on the counter and three in the garbage. Looking at them it looked like a nursery. We figured if they took the biggest one to Arizona to plant, gave one to each of Grandma's daughters in law, gave one to my aunt Tara and kept one themselves they would have two left to give away. So when we came to Diane's house we brought one with us. It amazes me how they survived. Really! They were all in there together in a pot the same size as the pots that we put the small plants in. One was so red and the next day it looked better all ready. They all suffered from not enough room and not enough water. Hopefully she will water them more. But we took care of the room situation. It was so fun!

After I finished sweeping up the dirt mom called and I told her what we did. I also told her I was just as excited to do that as I was to go to Tangled for the second time (we went again in Idaho, It's a goodn'). She said that she thinks that I can have a garden in some pots when we get home now. She said that she honestly didn't think I would take care of them enough, but she knew I was now. I'm so excited. So, over all, I saved some lives and proved I'm responsible. :)

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I think you may have some of my mom's genes in ya! You sound like quite the gardener! Love you!!! I'm so sad I didn't get a chance to see you. We'll have to plan better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job!! I am impressed. I have never divided plants like that. It's interesting that they have babies like that. I am so glad you liked it. Hopefully you will be able to plant some things when you get home. I think it is the growing season right now where you live. I love you and hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound like Grandma Sharon. I guess you get your green thumb from both sides of the family....your Grandpa Dennis and Grandma Sharon. So wonderful. I wish I had a green thumb. But I don't. Shad does. Everything he touches turns beautiful outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah.... um I have never doubted you being responsible! you are very responsible! That is so cool that you transplanted those aloe vera plants! You are a little grandma sharon- you have a "green thumb". Do you know what that expression means? It means being good at gardening. I love you! - Oh- and how could I forget!- I received your cards for my graduation party LATE- grandma sharon had them at her house- adn forgot to bring them to my party, so I JUST got them over Christmas. THANKYOU SO MUCH! Your card was so sweet and thoughtful, it made me feel so good I read it twice! And I'm keeping it so I can read time to time. You are such a good writer and know just what to say to make people feel good, and are honest at the same time! I love you and thankyou again!

    ReplyDelete