Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Shaver Lake

Okay, I am at my dad's and will be going to my grandma's tomorrow and they both have the internet so I will be able to post some more.

I can't remember when it was, but we went to Shaver Lake a while back. Steve went there as a kid and it is his favorite place on earth. It was beautiful and really fun. They were draining the lake and we could really see a difference from when we got there to when we left, so that was kind of a bummer, but it was still fun. We went real camping. We slept in a tent, didn't take any showers and cooked and ate all of our meals outside. I like camping as long as it is no longer than 5 days. That's how long we went. I don't think I could stand not showering or being fully warm for more than that.

The first day it was warm and it was really sunny, but the rest of the days were a bit gloomy. So, the first day we went down to the lake and spent the day there. We swam in the lake and jumped off rocks. To tell you how much the lake drained, th rocks we jumped off of were completely surounded by water and we couldn't touch in that water, but when we left they were completely out of the water. All around the lake were giant rocks and boulders of what looks like some kind of marble. There were small rocks too and some that were even smaller. We would pick up the smallish rocks, throw it against a big rock to break it and find the pieces. A side that broke is really sparkily so that is why we broke them. Does that make sense? Anyway, so we did that and I brought home 3 different kinds of rock for my souvineers.

We did some science while we were there. We took our science notebooks that have pages that are half lined and half blank for pictures. We observed animals and plants, drew pictures of them and wrote about them. Sometimes we would read about the animal in a book we brought before we wrote about it. We discovered that crows are abnoxious, but smart and that squirrels sing. They really do. When we first heard them we thought they were birds, but then I saw a squirrel in a tree and noticed that it's tail and throat twitched with each chirp. It was really interesting.

We sang around the campfire, roasted marshmallows, played Rook, played with the neighbors kids, each ate our favorite meals and took baths in our swimming suits in the lake so we would be almost presentable for church. We each almost froze and Mom was in a bad mood the rest of the day.

I feel like I'm forgetting something important, but that's all I can remember. :)

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog! I looooovvvvve lakes! I don't like being cold!! You were a good trouper it sounds like. I do love camping. That is cool you did science while you were there. You probably actually had a better time because of it. I think with all the technology we have today, people don't appreciate nature enough or even notice it for that matter. My dad and mom took us on "Drives" when I was little, just for the sake of taking a drive. So I learned very young to enjoy looking out the window at nature. I'm so grateful I was born at that time, for I fear I would have not noticed nature,I like TV a lot and would have wanted to watch movies all the time. But now I always notice the scenery and love how different it is in different places and seasons. But who knows maybe I just love nature and would have always been this way. Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pahahah I laughed when you said "and mom was in a bad mood for the rest of the day" hahaha. Yeah your mom does not like cold water- :) That sounds like so much fun! I'm so glad you guys were able to go on such a fun camping trip. You know, I think it sounds pretty cool to see the water draining out and getting to see what was hiding in the water. I've always dreamed of that happening with the Ocean, being able to see all the creations at the bottom of the sea! I know the bottom of the lake isn't quite the same! But- still it sounds kind of fun. Those rocks sound cool, you'll have to show me when I come over next. Love you- have fun in Idaho!

    ReplyDelete